From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Established||October 1st, 1907
33rd year of Guangxu Period, Qing Dynasty
|President||Dr. Pei Gang (裴钢)|
Siping Road Campus： 1239 Siping Road, Yangpu District, Shanghai, 200092
Jiading Campus： 4800 Caoan Road, Jiading District, Shanghai, 201804
- 1 History
- 2 Present
- 3 Anniversary Day
- 4 Campus
- 5 Academics
- 5.1 Colleges and schools
- 5.2 Institutes and centres
- 5.3 State key laboratories
- 5.4 National research centre
- 5.5 Key provincial-level and ministerial-level laboratories
- 5.6 Key provincial-level and ministerial-level research centres
- 5.7 State key disciplines
- 5.8 Members of the Chinese Academy of Science
- 5.9 Members of the Chinese Academy of Engineering
- 6 Presidents
- 7 Noted alumni
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
HistoryThe history of Tongji University can be traced back to 1907 when the German Medical School for the Chinese in Shanghai was founded by the German government together with the German physicians Erich Paulun, Oscar von Schab and Paul Krieg. The school was affiliated with the Tongji-Hospital the German physicians had established in Shanghai on the initiative of Paulun. The name Tongji suggests cooperating by riding the same boat. The school was expanded to include engineering in its programs and got its new name as German Medical and Engineering School for the Chinese in Shanghai in 1912. It was formally established as a Chinese university under the name of Tongji University in 1923/1924 and was renamed as National Tongji University in 1927. During the Second Sino-Japanese War (1937–1945), the university campus was moved from Shanghai first to Zhejiang Province, then to Jiangxi Province and Yunnan Province and later to Sichuan Province. It was eventually moved back to Shanghai in 1946. It then grew to be a comprehensive university which offered programs in science, engineering, medicine, arts, and law. Following a nationwide campaign of reorganizing schools and departments between universities in 1952, Tongji University became a university knowns for its civil engineering and architecture programs. Tongji is also the first university that introduced Urban Planning into China. In 1952, the first twelve full professors of Tongji are: 李国豪, 周念先, 钱仲毅, 陈超, 周方白 (周圭), 李寿康, et al.
As a university which had established a reputation for its research, Tongji became one of the first batch of universities which were authorized by the China State Council to establish its Graduate School. As one of the leading universities, it was successful in its application for the 211 Program which provided universities with substantial government fund. In 1995, the university became one to be jointly supported by the State Education Commission and the Shanghai Municipal Government. In 1996 the university merged with Shanghai Institute of Urban Construction and Shanghai Institute of Building Materials. The merger was acknowledged by the State Council as "Tongji Model" in the system renovation of higher institutions in China. In April 2000, the expanded Tongji merged again with Shanghai Railway University. Now Tongji University has become a comprehensive university which offers a wide range of programs in science, engineering, medicine, arts, law, economics and management.
- November 2010 - Signed a cooperation agreement with Instituto Superior Técnico making IST the Portuguese Campus of Tongji University
- July 2005 - Signed a cooperation agreement with Politecnico di Milano and Politecnico di Torino concerning the development of Sino-Italian University Campus in Shanghai and establishment of a Sino-Italian House, one year later a dual bachelor degree project in engineering, called PoliTong, was launched
- 2002 - Listed in Project 985
- April 2000 - Merged with Shanghai Railway University (a merge between Shanghai Railway College and Shanghai Railway Medical College in May 1995)
- August 1996 - Merged with Shanghai Institute of Urban Construction and Shanghai Institute of Building Materials
- November 1995 - Listed in Project 211
- October 1995 - Declared to be jointly built by the former State Education Commission and the Shanghai Municipal Government
- December 1978 - Upon consent by the State Council, resumed connection with Germany and became the window of the cultural, technology and science exchanges between China and Germany
- 1952 - The Departments of Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry in College of Science merged into Fudan University, the Departments of Machinery, Electrical Engineering and Ship Manufacture merged into Shanghai Jiaotong University. In the meanwhile, Tongji University merged the Civil Engineering Department and School of Architecture from Saint John's University, Shanghai and several other universities.
- 1951 - The Department of Biology in College of Science merged into East China Normal University, the Medical School and the Department of Survey in College of Engineering moved to Wuhan, Hubei Province
- September 1949 - College of Literature and Arts, College of Law merged into Fudan University
- June 1949 - Tongji University was taken over by Shanghai Military Control Commission
- August 1946 - College of Science expanded as College of Literature and Science moved back to Shanghai
- April 1946 - Moved back to Shanghai
- 1945 - Established the College of Law
- October 1940 - Moved Lizhuang in Yibin, Sichuan Province
- Winter 1938 - Moved to Kunming, Yunnan Province
- September 1937 - Moved to the south of China due to the Second Sino-Japanese War
- August 1927 - Renamed as National Tongji University
- May 20, 1924 - Approved by the government to be one of the first national universities in China.
- March 1922 - Renamed as Tongji Medical and Engineering University
- October 1907 - Established as Tongji German Medical School
PresentThe university now registers over 50,000 students at all levels from certificate and diploma courses to Bachelor's Degrees, Master's, Ph.D. programs and post doctoral attachments. There are over 4,200 academic staff for teaching and/or research, among whom there are 6 Members of Chinese Academy of Science, 7 Members of Chinese Academy of Engineering, over 530 professors and 1,300 associate professors. The university offers diverse courses in its 81 Bachelor's degrees, 151 Masters, 58 PhD programs and 13 post doctoral mobile stations. Tongji University is particularly famous for its Civil Engineering and Architecture programs. Its Civil Engineering, Architecture programs and Transportation Engineering are ranked Top 1 in P.R. China and its architecture program is by far the most difficult to gain entry into. As one of the state leading centers for scientific research, the university has 5 state key laboratories and engineering research centres.
The university is active in promoting cooperation and exchanges with other countries. It has established links with Australia, Austria, Canada, Finland, France, Germany, Japan, Spain, Switzerland, UK and USA in the fields of education, science, technology and economics. A number of international joint programs have been established between the university and its counterparts in other countries in recent years. In 2006, the university enrolled 1,829 international students.
Anniversary DayOn June 3, 1907, German Medical School was opened. On October 1 of the same year, a ceremony was held. The Anniversary Day was initially set to May 18, on which day in 1924 the Wusong campus was opened. In 1925 and 1926, ceremonies were held on May 18. On the staff meeting on January 19, 1931, the Anniversary Day of National Tongji University was decided to be postponed to May 20, two days after the national mourn with half-mast over the death of Mr. Chen Yingshi. Tongji celebrates the Anniversary Day on May 20 since then.
Coincidentally, on May 20 of 1924, Tongji Medical School was approved to be a "university" by the Department of Education of China. At that moment, both the medical school and the engineering school were approved.
CampusTongji University is titled the State-level Garden Unit for Excellent Afforestation. lts five campuses are located in the municipal city of Shanghai, covering an area of 2,460,000 m². The Siping Campus is situated on Siping Road; the West Campus on Zhennan Road; the North Campus on the Gonghexing Road; the East Campus on Wudong Road and the Jiading Campus is located in Shanghai International Automobile City in Anting. In the year 2009, the East Campus was sold to Shanghai University of Finance and Economics.
- Siping Campus (Main)
The huabiao (华表) in Siping campus
- West Campus
- North Campus
- Jiading Campus